1. Walk or ride your bike everywhere! Even if you have a car at college, walk to class, to get groceries, to your friends. It will make a difference in the long run and gives you more time to enjoy the outdoors.
2. Drink more water than you think you need to. It is so easy to become dehydrated, which leads to not feeling great so instead of soda or juice, drink water and you’ll feel the difference it makes in your body.
3. Don’t go out more than two nights a week. You will notice the wear and tear on your mind and body if you go out multiple nights a week, especially if its 3 days in a row. The lack of sleep on top of the sugary and unhealthy drinks will show negative effects on your body right away.
4. If you do go out, try to avoid sugary drinks or drinks with soda pop in them as they contain high amounts of sugar which will make you feel ill the next day. Instead of a Sprite with vodka, go for a vodka with club soda and a lime, you will notice a difference.
5. Take advantage of the huge gym provided by your University as it is included in your tuition and fees. Use it to your advantage because soon enough, you will have to pay a monthly fee to workout at a place such as the UO gym.
6. Join an intramural team, such as soccer, frisbee or flag football. The options are endless. It is not only a great way to exercise but its also a great way to meet friends and have some fun while doing an activity you enjoy.
7. Take advantage of Oregon’s beautiful outdoors by going on hikes in the Eugene area such as Spencer’s Butte, Hendricks Park, Alton Baker and so much more. Take a friend and hike up Spencer’s Butte to enjoy the sunset.
8. Cook your own food. It is so common to eat out a lot when your a college student as it is sometimes the quickest and easiest option, but cooking at home is cheaper and healthier as you are aware of exactly what your cooking and what is going into your body.
9. Get more sleep than you think you need. It is recommended that college aged women should get well over 8 hours of sleep. It is essential to your mind and body that you get enough sleep as it will help you to better function throughout the day.
10. Have fun. This is college. It is only four years of our life and we are meant to enjoy it. Don’t get too caught up in maintaining a healthy lifestyle that you forget to have fun. The long nights out, cold leftover pizza and sleepless nights will all be worth it in the end.